Nineteen and a half years ago in McMinnville, Oregon I was in the hospital becoming a mom for the first time. The first thing we heard was, "Look at all that hair!" They swaddled her up and placed her in my arms. I looked at her and marveled with excitement. I was a mom! My mother had become a mom many times over. Since I was the second oldest of seven children I had seen a baby a few times. However, I had never seen one fresh out of the womb. As I was taking in my newborn baby, I noticed some bruising from the labor. Then I noticed something else. For reassurance I asked, "Am I just paranoid or does she look like she had Down Syndrome?"
They looked at her. They looked a little longer. They moved her around. Finally they replied with, "She does have a few characteristics that downs have. We'll have to do some blood tests."
That was not supposed be there answer. They were supposed to say, "No, that is how all new borns look." The floor hit the ceiling and the room began to spin. How could this be?
In my college child development text book it talked all about down syndrome and how it happened. They said it happened mainly to older parents. They said it was the most dreaded of all handicaps there are. That was someone's opinion they were trying to push on the masses.
I was puzzled. I drank blended up green vegetables before I conceived her. I drank green blended up vegetables while I was pregnant. I was careful. I exercised. I did everything I could to give this baby the best chances in life. How? Why did this happen? Hey, I was young!
Hours later my sweet doctor somberly came into my room. He said he had prayed about what to say to comfort me. All he could think of was this, "Why do you think you had her?"
I smugly replied,"Because the Lord, thought I could handle it."
His reply was again not what I was expecting. "No, Andrea. Why her? Why with down syndrome?" Then he continued with the most amazing words which sent me forward on a quest. "You may not know now. It might be in a year from now. Or in ten or twenty years from now. But you will learn WHY you have her in your life."
I wish with all my heart that every mother, every parent was asked that same question! Why is your child in your life? What do you have to learn from your child? What experiences will bless your life because of your child?
Nineteen and a half years ago I was sent on a quest. It has been a blessing! Now is the time to begin your quest! Why is your child in your life?
I love this post. I've always heard that we are the best parents for our children. Sometimes, when things get really hard, especially with a special needs child, it's easy to question this. I like your approach much better: Why is your child in your life? That gives me a whole new direction of thinking, pondering and discovering. Thank you!
ReplyDeleteWhat an inspired doctor, and what an incredible mom you are! I marvel at your endless patience and wisdom with your children! You are a wonderful teacher and blessing to me! Thanks for sharing this great perspective!
ReplyDelete